I have also used the zenith for a number of years and found it to be very
reliable and predictable. On my new KR I started with a Revflow, but never
could get it to run consistently. I did have the Tornado device behind the
carb. I tried a number of different needles, but it would stumble somewhere
in the range between midrange and full throttle without large changes with
the mixture control. I was also fighting with vapor lock for a while. It
gets very hot in a tightly baffled KR when sometimes you have to taxi 3
miles to get to the active runway. It is nice to have a 10,000 ft runway to
flight test off of, but it does give time for the heat buildup in the cowl
when the wind favors the other end of the long runway. Once in the air I
have cool air blowing to a shroud around the gascolator and anything else
that is sensitive to heat. I solved the vapor lock by insulating all the
fuel lines well and by fabricating a return line from the carb back to the
fuel tank so the fuel doesn't have time to heat soak under the cowl.

I have installed a Tillotson HD carb that has no fuel bowl but uses a
pressure regulator like the Ellison uses and yes I set it up with a
speedometer cable for the mixture control. I am using a 1.5 PSI electric
fuel pump in the system.

So far I am very happy with this setup.  I tried the Tillotson because I had
it on hand and I didn't have to modify the cowl to install it. It is a 37 mm
carb, so it is a little large for a 2180 VW. The engine runs consistently
through out the throttle range. It does run a little lean at full throttle
so I have to turn the mixture richer and then back for cruise, but no
stumbles. It runs well enough that I have actually caught myself enjoying
the flight instead of worrying about the operation of the engine.  I think a
fuel pump with a little more pressure, say 2-4 PSI could solve the full
throttle lean problem. Maybe someone has some ideas on this. Fuel
distribution to the cylinders seems to be much better than with the Revflow.

As I have said before, I will go back to the zenith if this proves to be not
so good.

Roger Bulla
rbulla2 at wic.net