Hi Tony.

Congrats on getting your KR into the air.

Thank you, I?m still quite excited about it! And sorry for the delay in
answering your query. I?ve been having too much fun flying since I got off the
ground. C177A, KR2, RV8A, and a RV9A all in the last 48 hours. YeeHaww Larry!

I'm interested that you're operating from a 2,000 ft grass strip.
Let me clarify that point.

Our strip OR81 (http://airnav.com/airport/OR81) hosts about 15 airplanes
ranging from RV?s (4, 6, 8 & 12) using about 1/3 of it to a Beech 36 who uses
about ? of it. Most of the pilots here have flown from here many years and it?s
what we just know and use. I actually land my Cardinal in less than factory
book numbers when I?m really on top of it. I can get down and stopped in under
600?. There?s not a lot of room for variance in speeds. There is something
about only having so much available and just making it work. It?s a whole
separate topic but ?Slow Flight? and being comfortable operating close to MCA
has a big impact on being successful. In the Cardinal, I have more fun going
slow than trying to go fast.

Did you have any concerns about your KR operating from your strip?  Is it the
takeoff or the landing that uses the most real estate?

Yes. I?m afraid it?s going to be the landing part that is the issue here. My
first takeoff I was off the ground in about 800? no problem. That doesn?t leave
much/ any room for putting it back down if there is a problem but that?s a
given here. Friday, I launched from here and flew to MMV
(http://airnav.com/airport/MMV) for my first landings. Having a mile of runway
in front of me made that almost a non-event. My first landing at MMV I floated
above the runway almost 1500? according to Jerry VanGrunsven. That simply isn?t
going to work at home. My plan is to learn/ teach myself how to slow fly this
thing. I don?t know who said it but Dan Pritchard reminded me he read that 5
knots extra on landing could equate to 500? more landing distance. So to answer
your question, landing takes more than takeoff.

What are the characteristics of your KR (engine, weight, flaps, etc.) that
might affect takeoff and landing performance?
I?m learning to fly a KR2 ?kinda S? as it has an extra bay in the back but no
2? extension in front of the mail spar.
Revmaster 2100, Great Plains 4-into-1 exhaust header (and I DO think it makes a
difference)
About 630# and I want to reweigh it after the trim incident (separate message
coming on that)
Belly brake ala Heath/ Jones/ Langford variety (long overdue updates coming to
my KR web page soon)

Great big 5.00x5 main tires running at 20psi and Deihl nose gear without any
fairing yet

Once again, congratulations.

Thanks again!
John Bouyea ? no longer a virgin