There is a political aspect to this also.

CASA has limited the Jabiru engine because it is a certified engine, that
is, it is subject to the same rules as your everyday Lycoming  or
Continental.

However, where the engine is in an aircraft registered under our
Experimental or Recreational Light Sport category there seems to be some
contention as to CASA's right to apply the restriction. If shown to be
appropriate, then CASA could have the power to apply it to any non-certified
experimental engine including the VW, Corvair etc commonly used in KRs. This
is seen by many as a regulatory imposition contrary to the very foundation
of the experimental category.

The restriction is apparently based upon some statistical failure rates, the
details of which are not being released, which is making it difficult for
our representatives to provide a balanced response. Importantly the failure
rates quoted so far do not appear to be significantly different to what you
see in other certified engines which makes you wonder why Jabiru is being
singled out.

The limitation was released in stealth with neither the engine manufacturer
nor any of the home built aircraft organisations consulted beforehand.
However it has significant financial implications for all concerned.

I would like to think that our experimental owners will take note of the
technical issues under discussion and address them appropriately using good
airmanship but the problem at present is that CASA are refusing to elaborate
what they are or justify their position.

Our country is becoming highly over regulated and a previous CASA director
once famously said "we would have enough work to do even if there were no
aircraft flying". .such is the mind set.sound familiar.

Cheers John

John Martindale

29 Jane Circuit

Toormina NSW 2452