The Jabiru engines mandate a pretty regular re-torquing of case bolts and head
bolts.  My take on this, which could be entirely wrong, is that builders that
want to treat their Jabiru like a Lycoming or Continental (meaning with little
maintenance other than oil changes) are the ones that are seeing issues with
case fretting.  In fact, that's exactly what happens when the through bolts
stretch and/or are allowed to run a bit loose if one doesn't stick to the
torque schedule in the maintenance manual.  Through studs do stretch quite a
bit, which is why Jabiru has a torquing schedule in their maintenance manual.

The center mains on the VW engines are often times fretted and narrowed.  I
have seen the same on the center mains on many air cooled engines, including
Lycoming and Continental if they aren't torqued correctly.  That's the chief
cause for DIVCO milling and line boring used cases is to fix the narrowed
center main due to case fretting from improperly torqued through bolts.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM