From: Mark Langford via KRnet <krnet at list.krnet.org>
Date:03/25/2015  9:58 PM  (GMT-06:00)
To: krnet at list.krnet.org
Subject: Re: KR> Pilots and Builders

Adam Tippin wrote:

>>?? I'm building a KR2S widened. 43 @ longeron shouldres.
I'm a builder, not a pilot as of yet. I told a friend I wanted to build
a plane. Tim Stringer suggested the KR. So I researched all the quality
and quirks. I fell in love. I know I will get my license. But Do you
think I'm putting the kart in front of the horse?
I would enjoy your HO's<<

I put another couple of hours on N891JF (a fairly stock KR2) late this
afternoon, and I was thinking that there is nothing special about flying
this plane.? Yes, it will run circles around a 172, and it takes more
runway, but it's just not difficult at all. It's just....different!
What gets people is when they try to fly it with a CG toward the aft end
or aft of the safe range, and then it's not just a handful, it's trying
to kill you.

The solution is pretty dang simple...build it with the CG near the FRONT
of the range, because as passengers and baggage are added, the CG is
going to move aft.? Jim Faughn built N891JF to be right on the front end
of the CG range with him and full fuel, and I'm even lighter.? There's
no hint of instability, obviously, and it's really not twitchy in smooth
air (which is where I climb to for any cross-country).? It will gain or
lose a couple of hundred feet in a minute if you're not paying
attention, so you need to pay attention!

One common characteristic with KRs is a lack of longitudinal (roll)
stability.? They will typically drift off left or right and just keep on
increasing the bank into a dive...so don't fall asleep at the stick.
Other than these details, they are very similar to "normal" airplanes,
but the V numbers are different, of course.

And has been said many times, stick movement is pretty much limited to
just "thinking" about it, while at cruise speed...slight pressure
exerted on the stick, with no discernible movement.? About the only time
real stick movement happens is on takeoff or landing, unless you like to
do the occasional roll.

Stalls are very gentle, and give PLENTY of warning.? N891JF rattles the
elevator hinges long before you get to the stall, and it doesn't break,
it just mushes down a little.? You'd have to be oblivious for it to
sneak up on you and lose more than 20' of altitude.? I did several
today, most a little less than 50 mph TAS with the belly board down.
Turns do not significantly alter the stall characteristics, just
increase the speed a bit. And it slips beautifully...just stomp the
rudder pedal and correct flight path with ailerons, and it's a real hoot
of an elevator ride.

But a KR can lull you to sleep in calm air and practically flies itself
with minimal input.? But even in calm air you can't spend a lot of time
to fold a map with no hands on the stick, because moving arms and legs
changes the weight distribution, and the plane will react accordingly.
But that shouldn't be a surprise.? With a dual stick setup, I fly with
my knees when doing such things as taking sunset photos.? With one stick
that's a lot more difficult, bordering on yoga.

As Troy Petteway once told me, "taildragger KR's are the easiest of the
taildraggers to land", and I see no reason to argue with that.? It's not
like flying an F-16, but it is a different mindset than a C-150.? My EAA
flight advisor had me fly a Cub (for the first time) the morning of my
first KR flight, but my time would have been better spent flying the KR
earlier in the day in the calm air of the early morning.

I guess my best advice would be to get a little (even ten minutes would
help) stick time in a KR before flying yours for the first time, and
keep in mind to make very subtle stick movements.? And go to altitude to
ascertain stall speed, then approach a long runway at maybe ten percent
higher than that and just wait for the speed to bleed off and let the
plane gently settle onto the ground.

If this plane were so difficult to fly, I wouldn't climb into it at
every opportunity and just fly around the neighborhood for two hours
like I did today.? Eight takeoffs and landings, some stall and cruise
speed testing, a great sunset unfolding, and more dinosaurs liberated.
See attached image...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
http://www.n56ml.com