Sid Wood wrote:

 >> Ok, excellent suggestion on building the airplane to the forward end
of the cg limit.  Just exactly how does one do that?  And still follow
the plans? <<

There's an adequate page in my 1990 KR2 plans (page 114) that shows how
to do the weight and balance, and an example on page 115.  That defines
where the correct range is, although it's an accepted fact in the KR
community that the last 2" of the 8" range should be avoided (to put it
diplomatically). What the plans does NOT address is how to get there,
but clearly it means shifting the heavy stuff around in whatever fashion
is required to put the plane in the safe range, whether pilot and fuel
only or fully loaded with  passenger and baggage (or whatever
configurations are at the extremes of forward and aft CG).

Moving the engine forward is the most obvious way to get the CG forward,
and spacers under the mount, or making a new mount to accomplish the
task, is the "easy" way to make large changes.  To get the CG more aft
(as I needed in my case), moving the battery from the firewall to
somewhere like adjacent to the main spar is helpful, and it can even be
put further aft of the aft spar a few bays (which is where I put my
backup battery).  In general, I see the engine as the rough balance, and
when everything else is done, the weight and balance shows where the
battery, ELT, backup battery, and other stuff needs to go.  N891JF has
2" spacers between the engine mount and firewall, which was the "common
knowledge" solution for the aft CG problem for the KR2.

Really, the smart way to do it is build all of the airplane except the
firewall forward, do a weight and balance, weigh the engine and mount,
calculate where the CG of the engine needs to go, then redo the W&B to
show where the mount/engine should go...shimming if necessary.  We have
control over this, and we know to avoid the aft end of the CG range, so
arranging for a  forward CG is the prudent way to go.  That's what I did
on N56ML as well.  All of this stuff is detailed in the KR Newsletters,
available at http://www.krnet.org/newsletter/.

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
http://www.n56ml.com