Australia

ph:61 2 6658 4767
m:0403 432179
email:john_martindale at bigpond.com
web site:
-----Original Message-----
From: KRnet [mailto:krnet-bounces at list.krnet.org] On Behalf Of Flesner via
KRnet
Sent: Tuesday, 12 May 2015 10:31 PM
To: KRnet
Cc: Flesner
Subject: Re: KR> Ballast weight installation

At 03:23 AM 5/12/2015, you wrote:
>I reckon it's bit more complex than just moving the wing.  As a weight
>alone, moving the wing back away from the CoG increases weight on the tail
>for sure. To this extent Mike was correct in his comments on 10th May about
>moving the wing forward to offset the tail heaviness.
>
>However, the centre of lift is also moved backward which could act
>aerodynamically to counteract this which I think is what Sid was getting
at.

This issue of W&B is being made much more complicated than
necessary.  Kids figure it out every day on the play ground on the
tedder toter.  The fat kid moves in toward the pivot point or the
skinny kid moves away from the pivot point to achieve balance.

In our case we want to achieve balance slightly ahead of the Center
of Lift for stability in the air and then position our landing gear
to achieve balance on the ground.  In the case of a tail dragger we
place the gear to give us tail weight and a nose wheel configuration
we want nose weight on the ground.

Moving the wing back would in fact move weight to the tail but we
also move the C of L to the rear, thus adding mass forward to the C
of L, decrease mass aft of the C of L, and making the airplane more
nose heavy in the air.  Gear placement would have to be considered
with such a change.  In our case, with the airplane built, we don't
move the wing but we move other items to get our center of mass
slightly forward of the C of L, engine, battery, etc.

In case of a gross error in the design or building, balance may not
be achievable without radical changes.  In our case we know that
moving the engine mass a few inches forward of the C of L is usually
enough to correct the problem.  That was with the standard KR with a
VW engine.  As builders make changes , lengthen fuselage, heavier
engines, fuel tank changes, balanced elevators, etc., they must take
in to account this balancing act.  The further you get in to the
project and realize an error, the harder it is to correct.

So, if the fat kid is setting on the tail, move the skinny kid
further out on the nose, or make the fat kid lose weight, or make the
skinny kid gain weight, the options are numerous.  It's as simple as
that. :-)  Just remember, it's the C of L we need to work around,
that being basically the C.G. spec's given in the plans.

Larry Flesner

options

-----
No virus found in this message.