Just now got back from the airport working on my KR-2.  I removed the
elevator balance weight and the associated mounting arm and hardware.  The
lead weight was indeed 2.6 pound, but with the rest of the hardware,
including bolts, the total; was 4.5 pounds.  That weight was centered at 78
inches from the cg datum.  Doing the math (4.5 x 76/23 = 14.8 pounds) would
be needed at the engine mount to meet my cg move goal.  Put another way: By
removing the elevator balance weight and hardware I would not need the 14.8
pounds in the nose and the aircraft would be 19.3 pounds lighter compared to
what I had started out to do.
Next I removed the ELT bolted to the baggage shelf.  The weight was 3.0
pounds including the mounting bracket and bolts.  Mine is a two-place
airplane, so have to have an ELT.  I found a spot on the floor of the
cockpit 8-inches forward of the main spar.  This is very close to the cg
datum.  So, that would be a 0" arm.  Still have to carry the weight, but
have lost the cg arm: 3.0 x 54/23 = 6.9 pound not needed for ballast.  So,
the net ballast weight reduction now is 21.7 pounds.  That means the current
ballast needed to get the cg at 9.0 inches with me and half fuel onboard is
27.3 pounds at the nose wheel braces.  Not declaring victory yet, but that's
better than adding that 49 pounds of ballast as first advertised.  There may
yet be some ways to shave more weight off the tail.
Now have to put the airplane back together for a Weight and Balance to see:
"Does it really do that?"

Sid Wood
Tri-Gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA

That's because moving a wing around as per the discussion is complicated!!!.
Just moving a weight around is simple by comparison as you say but with 49
lbs in the nose involved in this case I reckon it should be looked at by a
professional.....anyhow that's it from me.

Regards John

John Martindale
29 Jane Circuit
Toormina NSW 2452