Steven Bedford wrote:

 >...but can you even open a front hinged canopy while in the air?

I think I once figured out that I could get about 1 psi pressure boost
from ram air at 160 mph or so, and assuming a canopy is 30" x 36" (and
dismissing the fact that it's not really a flat plate, which does
matter), we're talking over a thousand pounds of pressure at a 90 degree
opening angle.  I've heard stories of folks taking off with neither side
latched and the canopy rising maybe 2"-3" at the back and stopping
there, so that's where the lift and pressure from on-coming air balance
out (and yes, the weight of the canopy is a minor factor).  Still, I
think the answer is "not likely that you'll over power the canopy", but
adrenaline levels might change that.  But as has been mentioned, unless
you're over the mountains, forest, city (that fits a lot of places),
flying the plane to the ground usually makes a lot of sense.

As for how many dead-stick landings I've made, well over a thousand.
Ever since the first one, I've made a habit of chopping the throttle on
downwind when I'm abeam the approach end of the runway, and then glide
in the rest of the way.  I shoot for arriving high, then slip if I'm too
high.  Sometimes I have to goose the throttle, but my goal is to get it
on the ground smoothly with minimal roll-out...like an emergency
landing.  Practice makes perfect, or at least improves thing.  If people
always land at 1500 rpm, they will be in for a surprise when they have
to land with a stopped prop.  There's a very big difference in glide
length and how touchdown is handled...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
http://www.n56ml.com