>I don't want Dan to end up in the hole on this, and I want to help
>build the funding for the next host, who-ever and where-ever that
>may be, so they don't start out in the hole.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had hoped that a lot of these posts with ideas and opinions for
future Gatherings would have been posted to Mark Langford's e-mail,
as I had requested in an earlier post,  to be considered by the
Steering Committee.

As host of 9 of the last 12 Gatherings, I'll give my insight to
hosting a Gathering, stated factually and bluntly.  Had the Gathering
funds from 2014 been forwarded in a timely manner, Dan should not
have had any out of pocket expenses.  I forwarded the remaining $1000
in the Gathering fund to Dan earlier this year and, shortly before
this years Gathering, he received $3,300 from last years Gathering.
For the 2014 Gathering, I had forwarded $4000 to Steve as soon as he
requested it with an amount he felt he needed.  2014 Gathering funds
should have been available months ago.  In my opinion, it is not
unreasonable to require a full accounting of funds within 30 to 45
days following the Gathering. With that being said, $4000 to $5000
should be quite adequate up front to host a Gathering.  If it's not
then we need to do something different.  It is not my intent to cast
aspersions on anyone but to present the facts so we can make good
decisions.  With that behind us, lets move forward with good will and
keep the Gathering a fun event that we can all look forward to attending.

Prior to the 2004 Gathering, my first to host, I received $1800 from
Steve and Linda Bennett.  By initiating a "pre-registration" site, I
was able to know how many shirts/hats, with shirt sizes, to order and
the approximate number planning to attend the Gathering
banquet.  Hats, shirts, banquet deposit (if required) and awards are
the biggest expenses to consider.  Anyone considering hosting should
have an adequate facility with management that welcomes our group
without rental / fee demands.  Any rental / fee demands should be
extremely minimal or find another location.  Do in large part to the
generosity of the KR attendees, we were able to build the fund to
$5000 during the Mt.Vernon years without having to charge up front
registration fees, etc..  Passing the hat at the banquet was a
tradition that continued to support our efforts.  You may have
noticed there was never an accounting of income/expenses for the 2010
Gathering in Richmond , Kentucky, hosted by Dana Overall, but Dana
returned to me, nearly dollar for dollar, the $5000 I forwarded to
him.  That's all I can say on that matter.

Before we  move to set up Pay Pal accounts, consider legally
incorporating the group,  or other actions, let's see how the
finances shake out this year and move forward making sound decisions
based on the "real" needs of the group.

Anyone considering hosting a Gathering may contact me
at  flesner at frontier.com or (cell)  618 201 5958 and I will share a
list of , in my opinion, things you need to consider and needs you
need to fill.

All opinions and suggestions are welcome at  " ML at N56ML.com " with
subject line " 2016 Gathering".

Larry Flesner
Gathering host: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, ----, 2011, 2012, 2013