Not to be presumptious, but it has been my experience that the exhaust pilses
from an engine especially at the lower rpms, will not be sufficient in volume
or steady enough to support more than one instrument with regular vacuum. The
best solution short of a vacuum pump, would be to either install an emissions
air pump with a belt drive and reverse the connections to create suction, or
use a vacuum venturi and mount it inside the cowling just behind one head so
that heated air flows through it, as well as getting a prime of vauum from the
prop wash through the engine compartment/cowling. This should provide adequate
vacuum for initial spin-up of the instruments, and also guard against icing if
inadvertant IMC is encountered. All tend to agree that the whole configuration
and purpose of the KR2, or KR1 is VFR only, but the insurance would be nice.
When I flew the Cessna 172RG, and the Beech Duchess's they have their carb
intake air drawn from behind the left hand head, and then ducted down to a side
draft carb below the oil pan. This layout allowed us to basically never have to
use carb heat in any flight condition due to the already pre-warmed air, even
after simulated emergency descents, etc... The should be adequate heat to
prevent the venturi from icing. If I add a vacuum system on mine, this is where
I intend to add the venturi. It will also keep it from adding drag to the
exterior.

Colin Rainey
crain...@cfl.rr.com
Sanford, Florida