There is a vacum system (pump) in all diesel motors. CanĀ“t use it?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin" <crain...@cfl.rr.com>
To: <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 12:46 PM
Subject: KR>Vacuum Source

Not to be presumptious, but it has been my experience that the exhaust
pilses from an engine especially at the lower rpms, will not be sufficient
in volume or steady enough to support more than one instrument with regular
vacuum. The best solution short of a vacuum pump, would be to either install
an emissions air pump with a belt drive and reverse the connections to
create suction, or use a vacuum venturi and mount it inside the cowling just
behind one head so that heated air flows through it, as well as getting a
prime of vauum from the prop wash through the engine compartment/cowling.
This should provide adequate vacuum for initial spin-up of the instruments,
and also guard against icing if inadvertant IMC is encountered. All tend to
agree that the whole configuration and purpose of the KR2, or KR1 is VFR
only, but the insurance would be nice. When I flew the Cessna 172RG, and the
Beech Duchess's they have their carb intake air drawn from behind the left
hand head, and then ducted down to a side draft carb below the oil pan. This
layout allowed us to basically never have to use carb heat in any flight
condition due to the already pre-warmed air, even after simulated emergency
descents, etc... The should be adequate heat to prevent the venturi from
icing. If I add a vacuum system on mine, this is where I intend to add the
venturi. It will also keep it from adding drag to the exterior.

Colin Rainey
crain...@cfl.rr.com
Sanford, Florida
see KRnet list details at http://www.krnet.org/instructions.html