Discussion of this topic raises a couple of interesting issues for me;
I started building my KR 2 in 1986 and completed the wing spars
(all...main, front and rear plus outer, front and rear).
I also completed the fuselage sides and horizontal stabilizer and
elevators before going into a 17 year hiatus!
I attended the 2003 Red Oak Gathering and was re-energized to get busy
and (after retirement) have done so. I bought the KR 2S plans supplement
and have resumed building using the parts I completed earlier. I am
close to completion of the "boat" (belly is skinned, spar holes are cut,
top cross members installed etc.).
I have incorporated what I was able to from the -2S plans (firewall
dimensions, top engine rails, main spar gussets etc. and am close to
permanent installation of the center spars.
Since built the spars to the original -2 dimensions, I assume I should
not use any of the -2S wing dimensions and have decided to use the -2
plans and instructions.
Now I'm wondering if I should use 3.5 degrees incidence as per the -2
plans or something less as suggested by Mark. What would be the effect
on pitch stability (if any) of using less than 3.5 degrees? I don't like
the idea of a nose-down attitude in flight if it can be avoided but am
hesitant to divert from the plans in this area.
I have also decided to discard the retractable gear components I
purchased with the original plans (unless someone is interested in
buying them...make me an offer) in favor of the fixed gear tail dragger
version.
I'm about 20% done with about 90% remaining ;-) .
I would appreciate any builder comments from the list. Incidentally, we
plan to attend the gathering at Mount Vernon in September and will pick
brains then too!.
Thanks.
Bernie McLean
Poplar Grove Illinois