might look into a regulator that's a little smarter than the one I have
now

+++++++++++++++++

Like most things, battery design has its compromises - electrolyte (gel)
volume, plate area, distance between plates etc.  These parameters
obviously effect size and weight for a given AH capacity and the often
ignored cold cranking capacity (where relevant).

Some batteries are designed to efficiently "store" energy that is
received and delivered at modest (charge / discharge) rates - units
designed for Solar and UPS applications generally fall in this category
and are very effective provided they are not subjected to high charge /
discharge rates.  The acceptable charge rate (in this case) is more of a
trickle charge, but certainly not much over C/10 and the acceptable
discharge rate is adequate to deliver the full (stored) capacity over a
period of time.

Whereas we can control the charge rate and solve most of the battery
damage type problems, cranking an engine is very demanding in terms of
current draw, if the battery is not designed for this, its life will be
short.

Subjecting the battery to a higher (than spec) charge (or discharge?)
rate is more likely to cause damage from overheating, than high temps in
the general environment.

Steve
Zambia