Hi Jeff
 After posting I did realize that There are a lot of pilots who have other
experiences.   But, in the old days 84 all we had was the news letters, and
seeing a KR was limited to Oshkosh.  My first flight was a mistake.  We had
all been told to have lots of hours on the engine to ensure it would perform
as required without worry and to get lots of taxi practice.  I had about 10
hours when my first flight occurred.  As most TD pilots will agree, the
hardest part of flying a TD is the transition from tail down to tail up and
vise versa.  On my first flight, on a 50X5000 foot runway I applied TO power
and began the first of three transitions, all at full power.  As I went to
lift the tail for the third time, I had both airspeed and angle of attack.
The plane popped into the air and I decided to fly rather then attempt
landing for the first time without the pleasure of having flown the
airplane.

This was all we had.  Everyone continually talks about getting a ride in the
KR.  You're not going to get enough to make you a good KR pilot.  Regs how
require a TD endorsement.  As all the comments have indicated, even with the
KRnet, getting a ride or quality time in a KR is still not likely to happen.
After building a KR you have to get in and get to know every switch, knob,
control, gauge ect. so that it/s use is automatic.  In the 21 years of
flying the KR, I say that it's just another low wing aircraft.  Another
point is that the average KR is not a high performance Aircraft.  Most KR's
are fixed gear and only fly about 150 at best and stall at around 52 mph.
If built correctly, it will have a gentle straight stall.

The old builders of the KR were motivated by Bang for the Buck.  It seems
that today's builders by and large have more resources (money).  After fight
training, I could not afford to keep renting aircraft and decided to build
the KR.  During my time building, I was only able to fly a few times, I
needed to finish the KR for affordable flying.  After 10 years in the KR, I
had 3 hours with an instructor in a Cessna 205 Bird Dog (WarBird) and
learned a few things to make the transition easier.  All of which were
mentioned in the current or past threads on this subject.

Although the KR is unique, cute, quick, it is stall just a light low wing
aircraft.

Orma
Southfield, MI
KR-2  N110LR  1984