I know my VW stopped as well after quitting,,because of high compression and
short prop,,,same as ultralight's,,two cycle engine's with reduction drive,,and
low speed stop's the prop,,,I was implying practicing dead stick landing's with
pulling throttle,,therefore, the prop is still spinning.  Just my two cent's,
but not applying to the KR-2,,then windmilling props during deadstick practice
would be accurate.

  Coda

Mark Langford <n5...@hiwaay.net> wrote:
  I did a flight test in my KR2S a few weeks ago to check the facts on
windmilling props and glide ratio. Two tests from 10,000' (one with engine
on, one with it off) proved to me that there is no appreciable difference in
glide rate between engine idling and engine off. Engine off in a VW or
Corvair engine mean the prop is stopped, rather than windmilling, so that
may be the difference in KR "real world" and "conventional wisdom". Short
props and high compression ratios keep the prop from windmilling when the
engine is off. I did these tests because I wanted to know what my real
glide rate was (13.5:1 in present configuration) and because I wanted to
know if my glide rate would improve with the engine off.

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net