Oscar Zuniga wrote:
> Question for you electronics types.  One of our office UPSs died and I
> snagged it on its way out to the trash.  Opening it up, I see that it's quite
> easy to replace the two sealed 7Ah, 12V batteries and put it back online
> again.  However, it occurred to me that it might also be just fine to use as
> a trickle charger for any 12V battery of this type, if I replace the internal
> battery leads with some longer ones with alligator or battery-type clamps.
> Wouldn't this work OK?
>
> These small desktop PC style UPSs get tossed out all the time and if they
> didn't die due to taking a surge on one or more of the MOVs, it would seem
> that they would make dandy chargers.  Comments?Oscar Zuniga
> Air Camper NX41CC
> San Antonio, TX
> mailto: taildr...@hotmail.com
> website at http://www.flysquirrel.net

Generally, those will work for similar batteries. Smaller batteries
would likely require the charge current be decreased, and larger ones,
increased.  In the absence of any actual numbers, I  suspect those
charge current ranges will overlap when the batteries are close in their
ratings.

--
Glenn Martin
Owner