Dave Arbogast wrote:

> Remember not to take your laptop above 10,000 msl as the hard drive
> needs air for the heads to float above the platter.

That's what they say, but I've flown mine at 12,000' on a regular basis, and
even as high as 17,000.  I think what they may mean is that system
robustness is degraded, for example it won't meet the same shock standards,
but as smooth as it is at 17,000', mine still works fine.  Having said that,
I have a plastic water bottle that I closed up tight at 12,000' or so, and
once on the ground I'll bet it has about a third of the volume left in it.

On another matter, Harbor Freight sells a little 12V to 120V converter
that's a little bigger than a soda can, and is good for several Amps.
That's what I use, and it works fine except if I start the plane with it on
and the laptop plugged in, it'll turn itself off out of self defense.  The
cure is to always cycle the switch after starting the engine, and it hums
away happily for the rest of the flight.  I also use it to charge my cell
phone sometimes.

I'll see y'all on the other side...

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net