From: bobby burington [mailto:bobbycrea...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 12:28 PM
To: KRnet
Subject: Re: KR> battery charger

--- On Mon, 2/9/09, Oscar Zuniga <taildr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Question for you electronics types.  One of our office UPSs died and I
> snagged it on its way out to the trash.

Hi Oscar,

Yes it will make a trickle charger for any size battery.

I have salvaged several of the UPS units you are talking about. Generally
its not the batteries that go bad and you can put thoes small batteries on a
regular 12 volt charger and recharge them. Normally for me its been the
circut board that goes bad from power surges or whatever. Sometimes you will
find a small fuse soldered somewhere on the power supply board or power
supply side of the main board. If you can solder in a new fuse you might be
in business.

These are not only a trickle charger for batteries but the supply from the
batteries is a 12 volt to 110 converter for the duplex outlets. I took one
of the units apart, disconnected the wires from the batteries and then
connected it back up to the battery in my truck. Leaving the circut boards
and 110 outlets intact. Made a great 110 converter for my truck. I have been
thinking this arrangement would also give me a really cheap way to put a 110
outlet on the panel or somewhere in the KR that I could plug in a laptop or
other type equipment if I needed to and the weight is small ounces.

Bobby Burington
California KR2 Builder