While illegality may be defined by the strict letter, damages are not.
Damages by copyright infringement are determined mostly by loss
or decrease in revenues.  When a copyright holder no longer is
selling or servicing, you might be infringing on copyright but
not imflicting harm as defined by the copyright statutes.

There are many instances in the world of aviation where the good
of the community overrides strict compliance with the law
such that the moral thing to do may not equate to the lagal thing.

Consider the loss of designs where the copyright owners are
deceased or cannot be found.  In those situations you have
to ask who is being harmed by the reproduction of such designs
while breaking the law.  As with most things, common sense is required.

Hundreds if not thousands of avaition designs are now lost because
of the copyright issues and it is tragic.

It is sickening to look through 20, 30 and 40 year old magazines
and see how many great little planes have disappeared along with
the hard earned knowledge of their designers.

For instance about ten years ago ( before the old and long time
librarian
retired )I inquired at the EAA and they
had sixty sets of blueprints for designs that had been donated
that were restriced to mere looking at without any kind of copying
taking place. The restrictions were not limited to copyright
but also the new lawyers fear that if you built a plane
from the knowledge obtained they feared liability.
What the heck is the EAA all about anyway ?
Scott