On 08/14/2009 04:43 PM, Ed Janssen wrote:
> I'm not sure about that.  If the major part of the work was done before
> being acquired by Dave, there could be a problem convincing the inspector
> that he should be included as one of the original builders.  Dave should
> probably check with his local FSDO before proceeding.  Different FSDOs have
> been known to interpret regulations differently.

    There are tons of projects that get passed around through several
builders before they are ready to fly, and many project that are also
built by several people.  Until the airplane has an airworthiness
certificate, anyone that helps to build it, even a small part of it, is
part of the collective "original builders".  Once the airplane has been
issued an airworthiness certificate, that changes.  Dave should not have
any issue being able to get the inspection and airworthiness
certificate.  The Repairman certificate may be an issue, but if Dave can
demonstrate that he can safely maintain the airplane, that should also
not be an issue.

    Plenty of advice about this on the EAA website...

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV
Glastar Sportsman 2+2 Builder #7118 N421DJ

"Many things that are unexplainable happen during the construction of an
airplane."  --Dave Prizio, 30 Aug 2005