Glenn Martin wrote:

> Getting the Technician Class Amateur Radio license to use the APRS
> system is a relatively easy matter of basic knowledge

Of course I'd never brag, but I probably studied 8 hours and made an easy
100 on the Technician exam, so don't think this is rocket science either. I
suspect I could have passed it "cold", but I didn't want to look stupider
than I already am by squeaking by with a 70.   The test probably took 5
minutes at a local community college, and the cost was something like $13.
I bought a Micro-Trak 8000FA from www.byonics.com, spent 10 minutes
configuring it, and went flying.  Grand total weight (including wire) is
under 5 ounces, total cost under $300 (and it can be done cheaper).  The
APRS comes online with the rest of my flight instruments,  so it's always
broadcasting position real time, hands off.  I never have to think about it,
which is how I like it.  Today's flight is at
http://aprs.fi/?call=n56ml , and tomorrow night it'll show a quick trip to
Kentucky and back.  It'll be a great day for flying in the Southeast...

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com