On 2/19/2010 9:05 PM, Mark Langford wrote:
> One alternative to buying a new 408 MHz ELT is an APRS (plus your old ELT to
> keep you legal).

        I'm an Amateur Radio Operator, and a fan/user of APRS (I even support
two I-Gates), but I don't think it even comes close to replacing a PLB
or 406Mhz ELT.  APRS relies on a series of ground relay transmitters and
"friends and family" to notice that your blip isn't moving anymore (and
not just out of range of a ground receiver).  A PLB/406Mhz ELT hits a
satellite and immediately notifies someone in the search and rescue chain.

        APRS is absolutely awesome for allowing your friends and family to
check on your progress.  A PLB/406Mhz ELT is a FAR better notification
system in case of real trouble.  And yes, I will have both in my
aircraft because they serve two very different purposes.

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV
Glastar Sportsman 2+2 Builder #7118 N421DJ - http://deej.net/sportsman/