> "Who on the Net has flown both, and what is the difference????"

I think Lee was only asking about the differences between them, not which
one is better.  There are differences of course, but if you've been
flying a taildragger KR getting in a tri-gear KR is like getting in a
two-place Grumman.

I think what Dan said about the variations in weight, fuselage length, &
wing loading all make it difficult to say anything solid about TD KR's
and three point landings.  I've landed a number of times in the
three-point attitude and had a wing lift or even found myself back up in
the air.  That's because the geometry of my current KR and the
retractable I had before that both do not allow one to touch down at a
full stall.  Nowhere near it.  At least 10 MPH over - even more with the
retractable.  There's still lots of lift left in my wings even though I
may be (barely) on the ground in a three-pointer.  That's why I find
myself getting blown off the runway or salvaging a second touch-down if a
gust crosses the wings at this critical point.  I'll do them if things
are calm but since I can't raise the nose in the flare any higher than my
tailwheel will allow, I generally do my landings the way Jim Faughn
describes in his treatise.

The tri-gear on the other hand will let you play with the stall and get
on the edge of it.  The KR wing is very predictable and invites a pilot
to do this (unlike a Lancair, for instance).  I was surprised at how
satisfying it was to be able to actually have control of the angle of
attack on landing the first time I got to fly a tri-gear.   I hate having
to "drive" my plane onto the runway, but that's what I have to do with my
taildragger.  I have to land it with excess speed simply because slowing
it down to the proper speed for touchdown - landing it with the correct
angle of attack - puts my tailwheel way down there where it hits the
ground well before the mains.  Ugly.

Ken or Steve put a block between the fuselage and the tailwheel in order
to lower the nose - to better be able to see over it I guess.  Taking
that block out has been on my list of things to do so I'll be doing this
once I finish with some other plane projects I'm working on.   I've just
learned to live with not being able to stall the airplane onto the
runway.
There are none of these concerns with the tri-gear.  The tail is high
enough you can bring it in full-stall and very slow.  It was a real
pleasure to full-stall land the tri-gear KR with that barn-door drag flap
that Morehead's plane has.   If it weren't for the nosegear drag once in
the air and the fact that a tri-gear KR just doesn't "look" right, I'd
probably prefer one.  The retractable KR is the one that "looks right" to
me, but that's just me.

Mike
KSEE

Nutrition