Martin wrote:

I would think that the best way to approach this is to practice slow
flight as much as possible, extending the lower speed slowly and
cautiously over many flights

Martin,

You should be doing at least a power off approach to stall on the very first
flight in the plane.  If you do not do this, how else are you going to know
where the approach speed actually is?  How will you know if you are getting
ready to stall the plane on its first landing?

This was my fear about the thread about stalls on the net.  The discussion
has been on FULL POWER or POWER ON stalls.  This is a very different beast
compared to the power off stall.  In a power off stall, the plane is not
going to be cocked up as much, you need far less rudder and you have extra
power to add coming out of the stall.  In the power on stall there is no
extra power available, you will likely have a huge amount of rudder in to
balance the torque of the motor, and there power becomes your enemy unless
the plane is in balanced flight throughout.  They are very different events.

Pilots like Jeff Scott are high hour pilots who have a tremendous amount of
experience in the KR and other aircraft.  Maneuvers that come easily to them
do so because they have gained insight into doing them well, often through
scary experiences, or at least enough experience to have become proficient.
A person writing on the KR net may have no hours at all, or be a high time
pilot, and his or her experience level will be reflected in their comments.

At 300 hours in my KR-2S I see no reason to be doing power on stalls in it.
It is not that I cannot do them, but I have enough experience from other at
high g or inverted maneuvering to not feel the need to do this type flight
in this airplane.  Other pilots may want to go out and do high power stalls
on every flight, and for them that is just as good an answer as my own.  It
all depends on what you want to do in your plane.

Before you do any maneuvers or fly make sure you review and brief to
yourself all the maneuvers you plan on doing.  Think your flights out, plan
safe, fly safe... and have fun!

IHS,

Dave "Zipper" Goodman
www.verticalavionics.com