Craig Williams wrote:

>>Actually I am now considering the AeroMax 100 IFB short-block, then add
>>aftermarket 88mm VW cylinders and use my '64 heads after a rework by
>>someone.  <<

This question brings up another great selling point regarding the Corvair
engine.  The CorvAircraft list has several very reputable engine builder
members who offer machine shop services, including head work, as well as
complete engine builds.  But why not build it yourself?  The Corvair is an
even simpler engine than a VW (if that's even imaginable) to rebuild.  And
William Wynne holds several "Corvair Colleges" across the country each year,
where William, Mark "Petz", Roy Szarafinski, and several others are on hand
to help wherever they can.  People typically bring core engine parts cleaned
up and ready to build, and one of the above folks will go over it with a
fine tooth comb and dial indicators, etc to make sure the case and crank is
suitable for aircraft use, and then assist when needed as you build your
engine on the spot.  These colleges have been completely free over the
years, although in recent years there's been a small charge to cover meals
and supplies.  I think at the CC in November there were something like 11
engines run on the test stand for breakin.

I've always had the attitude that if you want it done right, do it yourself,
although notable exceptions are the three guys mentioned above.  Having said
that, it sure it easy to build a Corvair engine yourself, especially with
William's conversion manual and the help you'd get at a Corvair College.
That's something else you get from the CorvAircraft list, advice from some
top notch machinists, as well as information regarding the whereabouts of
the next College, for example.  They are usually southeast, west coast, and
midwest, spread throughout the year.

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
website www.n56ml.com