From: KRnet [mailto:krnet-boun...@list.krnet.org] On Behalf Of Chris Kinnaman
via KRnet
Sent: Wednesday, 20 September 2017 5:16 PM
To: KRnet <krnet@list.krnet.org>
Cc: Chris Kinnaman <glid...@spinn.net>
Subject: Re: KR> KR Spin restraints

Henni,
That is an assumption. "Powerplant failure for undetermined reasons" is stated
in the NTSB synopsis of Ken Rand's fatal accident.
https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=37774&key=0
EAA's Sport Aviation March 1979 Hot Line From Headquarters had a notice which
detailed weather at the time and included some references to Ken's radio
transmissions shortly before the crash. The only icing mentioned is airframe
icing after descending into clouds.

A number of factors ganged up on him, as is often the case, and tragedy was the
result. Pinpointing the cause of loss of power may be in the final report but
that is not available from the NTSB, at least not right now. Their archive used
to be easier to access and was easily searchable, not so much any more.
My $.02
Chris K