During the repair and rebuild of my Air Camper I maintained a list of things
that needed to be done as I encountered them or wanted to add them.  It was a
long list.  Some evenings I would sit at home and review the list and modify it
as needed.  Then one fine Saturday at the hangar, I had just finished
installing the air filter and connecting the engine controls and it dawned on
me that there was nothing preventing me from attempting an engine start right
then and there.  Prop was on, bolts torqued and safetied, plugs cleaned and
gapped.  I looked everything over again and got excited.  Why not?!  Aeroshell
50 in the oil filler, fuel in the tank, chocked and tied down, and that day
became one of the most memorable days of my life as my own hands prop-started
the engine to life on the rebuilt airplane and engine.  No, it didn't start on
the first couple of blades, but that's OK.

That night I took my old list and transferred all the listed items onto a fresh
page with two columns instead of just one.  The column on the left only listed
items that were essential to the safety of flight and airworthiness.  The
column on the right listed "nice to have" items that the plane could fly
without.  The airplane made return-to-flight progress MUCH quicker after that!
Instead of dreaming about where wiring could run to wingtip strobes or whether
to reupholster the passenger's seat, I focused on what was needed to get me and
the airplane into the air.  I think that's a very useful shortcut to "Get it
done!"

Oscar Zuniga

Medford, OR

Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power