Below is a copy of what I posted to the group in 2008 with better
instructions for the flutter testing than I just posted a few minutes
ago.  Read it as Bud wrote it, not as I botched it in the previous
email.

This is probably a good time to bring up flutter testing.  I have
attached
some excerpts from emails with Bud Davisson about flutter testing on the
Midget Mustang.  Most of you will recognize who Bud is.  Aside from
being
probably one of the best know aviation authors, quasi test pilot, owner
of
the Bearhawk company, and one of the leading experts on the Pitts, he is
also an aeronautical engineer.  He knows what he is talking about.

Most people flying experimentals don't know a lot about flutter or how
to do
flutter testing.  Most people think you just get up fast and if flutter
does
not start that anything up to that speed is O.K.  That is not the case.
You
can fly right past your flutter speed and not even know it.  Then
someday
you can be flying at your critical flutter speed and you can get
flutter.
The Midget Mustang has a well doccumented precursor to flutter that is
referred to as "shudder".  Many people including me have had shudder in
the
stang.  It is very scary, but it does not cause your airframe to get
ripped
apart like full fleged flutter.  Most planes do not have this early
warning.
On most planes it just starts full fleged flutter and the next thing you
know is that your wings have ripped off and you are kissing your ass
goodbye.

I have seen myself how improper flutter testing can fool you into
thinking
you are safe all the way up to red line.  When I did my initial testing
did Vne testing going up a little at a time on a calm day and just
inching
my speed up and making sure I didn't feel anything unusual.  I got up to
230
and figured that was all I wanted and as long as I kept it below that
speed
that I would be fine.

A few weeks later I did a high speed low pass at 190 on a day with just
little turbulance.  The shudder started and scared me near to death.  I
didn't know about shudder at the time and I fully expected the plane to
disintigrate.  That one ranks on the very top of my pucker list.  I had
the
same thing happen on another occasion about the same speed in light
turbulance and it was just as scary.  If the Stang did not have this
early
warning I wold have probably been dead the first time from improper
flutter
testing.

The correct way as Bud explains is to do the stick tap test.  It was
also
explained by the RV test pilot at the first Mt Vernon gathering.  You
need
to increase your speed 2 MPH at a time and give a quick slap to the
stick to
excite the ailerons.  The stick should snap back then dampen out very
quickly.  You go up in speed slowly just until you see a change in the
dampening response then stop.  I have verified this on the Stang to be
just
a little slower than the speed where I saw the shudder.  I have since
made
some mods to move the ballance weights a little further forward and
decrease
the aileron weight.  I have also done some mods to take some play out of
the
system.  I know have done the tap testing to 215 with no problems.  I
won't
fly another plane again at a speed that I have not done proper flutter
testing up to.

Oh, and I am certainly not saying that anyone should use this technique
try flying at a higher than recommended Vne.  I am just saying that you
should properly test up to Vne before you just blindly go flying at that
speed.

Brian Kraut
Engineering Alternatives, Inc.
www.engalt.com