I can vouch for an autopilot, I installed a trio into my kitfox before a
very long XC and it made things much easier (if not too easy). That said, I
had to disengage it 30 mins before each destination to regain a feel for
the plane. But I had low hours in it at the time. A later update allowed me
to set a min airspeed in climb profile so it didnt try to climb against a
downdraft/mountain wave and stall or overtemp.

Make sure there is no binding of anything when done.

Also, once I accidentally bumped the altitude hold button in some light
chop, didnt realize it, and thought I had a control problem! I even worked
out a plan to slowly descend to farmland ahead, then realized what
happened.