Sent from Windows Mail

From: Jeff Scott via KRnet
Sent: ‎Wednesday‎, ‎September‎ ‎26‎, ‎2018 ‎5‎:‎47‎ ‎PM
To: krnet
Cc: Jeff Scott

There has been a bit of interest in my misadventure with MOGAS and the damaged
fuel system in my SuperCub Clone.

Today I made it to the airport and cut the top out of the fuel tanks.  The mess
I found inside the tanks is incredible, and disheartening.

It would appear these tanks were fabricated using 3/8" blue foam as a core
material.  Overall quality was marginal to begin with, then the tanks were
apparently sealed by painting the inside with an extra coating of epoxy resin.
As the chemicals in the local Mogas attacked the resins, the coating of resin
peeled away from the inside of the tanks in sheets that rolled up and slowly
made their way to the low spot in the tanks.  The blue foam delaminated during
the removal process, so I will need to fabricate new tops for the tanks.  I
knew when I chose to leave these tanks in the wings when I was finishing this
project that they were an unknown, and I may eventually have to rebuild or
replace them.  So now that has come home to roost.

The inside of the tanks will require significant clean up, then a lay up or two
of glass before a final prep, prime and sealing with a chemical resistant slosh
compound.   These tanks were built in as an integral part of the wing.  If not
for that, I would cut them out and install metal tanks.  However, at this point
in time, I don't want to do a complete wing rebuild and recover, so will
rebuild the tanks.  If I ever need to recover the wings, then these tanks will
likely be replaced.

Photos of the mess and the clean up/rebuild process are posted on my web site
at:

<http://jeffsplanes.com/Cub/MOGAS/mogas.html>

Jeff Scott

Cherokee Village, AR