I had the same problem with my KR II built in 1981 of unknown materials.
Went to the airport one day to find the fuel had drained through the
cockpit. I cut the top off, made a cardboard template, and had my son weld
up an aluminum tank to fit the space. I lost a couple of gallons capacity:
I had 21 gallons before... Won't be able to fly 750 miles anymore, but I'm
not sure I want to.