John Bouyea said,

"Bottom-line; I don't know if the owners who didn't respond aren't
interested
in expanding their circle of friends (or KR nuts like us!) or what. I do
know the number of returned/ undeliverable pieces was proportionally low;
about 5%.   I'm open to other ideas. Fire away."

Thanks for all that effort!  Seems like a great idea that should have
brought a lot of builders and their  phantom KR's out of the woodwork.
I've got no better ideas about it than yours.

I can easily presume a number of reasons FOR the lack of involvement, but
nothing on how to fix it.  When the KR was so frequently on the cover of
the aviation magazines and of course, the Popular Mechanics issue that
stirred up so much interest, the guys who built all these planes in the
70's and 80's are getting old.  That's no excuse of course, but it's a
common one I think - in combination with all the worried wives.   When
people get old they sometimes get paranoid about dying.  Also, some of
them found out they had no aptitude for flying the KR and after a couple
of near-death experiences trying to get it on the ground (always because
they were going too fast), they just parked the planes.  Or donated them,
such as the one hanging on the ceiling at Chapter 14 here at KSDM.  It
was immaculate and beautiful, but the builder never flew it.  Sparky test
flew it then the owner donated it to the Chapter.

This "ageing out" phenomenon covers a lot more than just KR's though.
The hangars are full of expensive metal at my airport, their owners no
longer interested (or possibly able) to take further interest.

We've apparently become just another niche market that will probably go
away completely once we are all dead.  The direction of things is clearly
electric propulsion, 3-D printing of components and NextGen ways of doing
things.  Did I just read that the FAA did away with the 51% rule?  I
think so.

******************

Tinyauto said,

> He used aircraft construction as a way to satisfy a creative desire.

Absolutely that's a big factor.  I've known several builders like this .
. . I think we all have.  They usually do beautiful work too . . . and
end up selling their planes just so they can start on another one.
Harold "Siggy" Sigenfield, Convair engineer who built 3 KR's and a
Barracuda was like that.  My first KR was one of his creations and he
built it like it was a "real" aircraft.  Maloof CS prop with a Revmaster,
two large wing tanks along with the header (had about 3000 miles range),
machined panel of the gray dimpled metal like military planes used, extra
strong cross-bar on the landing gear (thank goodness), and lots of other
very professional touches.  He never flew any of his planes.  Built them
just for the joy of building.  The Barracuda, along with the Falco, is
one of the most challenging plans-built aircraft but Siggy thoroughly
enjoyed just the building of them.  His Barracuda and at least one of his
KR's are still flying.  Siggy is long dead, as are many of those who
built KR's back in the day.  We've seen them pass through KRNET fairly
frequently.

Building a plane can be a very long-lasting tribute to the people who
build them and carries their name forever . . . or until it's taken off
the FAA Registry decades down the road.

Somewhat related . . . since technology like this is the direction
everything is going . . . is everyone keeping track of Uavoinix just now?
  Amazing products.  This one below uses your current transponder and
gives you full in/out compliance for just under $1000.

https://uavionix.com/products/echo-uat/

 Mike Stirewalt
KSEE