Confused wrote:

> [...]

++++
Dear Confused:
I looked at the GDL82 when it first came out and talked to a rep at Oshkosh.
Basically, it takes the transponder output via cable and combines it with a GPS
input to send out the ADS-B message.  On a Piper/Cessna, it would still take an
A&P to sign off and maybe run the cables and mount the external GPS antenna.
The uAvionix Skybeacon picks up the transponder output via the airways and
combines it with its GPS to send out the ADS-B message.  Still takes an A&P to
sign off on a Piper/Cessna, but installation is a breeze..remove the nav light,
hook up the two wires (if you have no strobe lights) and reinstall with the
three screws.  To set up the Skybeacon, download an app on your phone, connect
via its wifi,  and fill in the blanks (N number, etc.).  None of these systems
(GDL 82 or Skybeacon) have ADS-B in, which is why you need something like a
Stratux with an ipad using Foreflight, FLYQ, IFLY.  I put the FLYQ app on my
iphone, bought a ram mount to hold the iphone, and mounted it on the lower left
of my windscreen.   I also bought the Stratux at Oshkosh last summer already
built and tested for a couple of hundred dollars, but you can build your own
for probably a $100.  The Stratux sends the ADS-B traffic to my ipad and
iphone.   I can easily see traffic on my iphone that is up on the windscreen
without having to look down into my ipad which is used for Navigation, etc.
With the $500 FAA rebate (which is only for non-experimental aircraft), I will
have a total of about $1600 in everything (Skybeacon and Stratux) for both
ADS-B in and out.  Larry is correct..you will need ADS-B out to fly in
controlled airspace starting in Jan 2020, but it is not necessary if you are
not flying in that kind of airspace.  But I can tell you, once you see the
ADS-B traffic, it makes one a believer and I wanted everyone to see me just
like I can see them.  I just wish uAvionix had the tail version available for
me, but as far I know, they still don't have the STC for Piper/Cessna planes.
I worry that my wing tip Skybeacon is going to snag someone as they walk by it,
or I brush the side of the hangar with my wingtip....tail mounted versions
would not have these problems so I need to attach some kind of ground
protection muff  :)
r/Bernie
N5736U