I wouldn't count on it being approved for use in the US in it's current
implementation.  It is designed for Europe.  As best I understand the European
implementation of ADS-B, there is no 978 MHZ UAT.  So that unit likely doesn't
have a UAT receiver, so in the US would be missing half of the GA traffic and
all of the weather data, since that is also broadcast via UAT from ground
stations.

When you talk about the other countries use of satellites for ADS-B, they are
using Satellites to Receive ADS-B data from 1090-ES aircraft, but don't supply
any ADS-B data to aircraft from the satellite coverage.  The US is also doing
the same.  But in the US, the FAA has installed a network of ground stations to
act as traffic repeaters as well as broadcasting weather and other flight data
on 978 MHZ (UAT).  That's why outside of the US, you will be required to have
1090-ES for ADS-B out, and don't count an getting any weather or airport
conditions from ADS-B.

My information is a couple of years old, so if things have changed in Europe or
other places around the world, I would welcome an update.

-Jeff Scott
Cherokee Village, AR