From: KRnet [mailto:krnet-boun...@list.krnet.org] On Behalf Of Flesner via KRnet
Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2020 5:12 PM
To: KR net
Cc: Flesner
Subject: KR> ADS-B out

I've been putting off buying an ADS-B out unit for months now.  I
intended to purchase the tail light unit for ease of install. Then I
heard sale on those units would end and only available as "certified"
units.  I placed an order for one at the last place they were available
and missed it by a day or two.  NO LONGER AVAILABLE.  So, plan B was a
wing tip unit but I wasn't looking forward to making a mount on my
Horner style tips with a 22.5 degree slant.  Uavionics claimed 12
degrees was the max angle off vertical for a mount.  I wasn't too
excited about making a spacer and figuring how to mount the whole unit
to a single layer of glass over foam on the tip.

I spent the day at the airport and made a .016 aluminum mount.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vigzoag6ch4nhw9/image000000%20copy%202.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52lov8inb6xf1pg/image000000-1%20copy.jpg?dl=0

Now that it is mounted and working I'll go back tomorrow and remove the
entire unit (I used quick disconnects on the wiring) and use the mount
as a template to make a new one with the addition of a tab on the bottom
to take the flex out of the mount.  I'll clean up the nicks and dings I
put on the wing tip and next time I'll wait for the paint to totally dry
before handling.  You know how it goes, paint feels dry, can't wait, get
fingerprints  and dirt on the fresh paint.  Then I can program it, if I
don't do that before I remove it, and do an air test next week.

When I called Uavionics last week to inquire about the mount angle I
expressed my disappointment (and the experimental crowd) about how
Uavionics let the experimental crowd prove their product and then quit
selling the unit to experimental fliers and jack the price up $500.  If
they had equal competition, price and produce, I would have gone with a
competitor.

Updates to follow..................

Larry Flesner

Southern Illinois