FWIW, the majority of small Continental engines, C-85, C-90, and O-200
invariably have the EGT and CHT running hottest on the back left cylinder.  The
point being, unless you are using them for the rare occasional need for
diagnostics, the only cylinder you will ever be monitoring is #1, the back
left.  If the left rear is within the high temperature bounds, you can rest
assured the rest are well below it.  In the KR, the temps tend to even out at
cruise, but during climb, the back left is always hottest, followed by the
front left, the back right, then the front right being always cold no matter
what you do.  Knowing that Larry has a very similar configuration with the same
cowling and exhaust, I think I know which cylinder I would want to monitor.

FWIW, I spent nearly 20 years working on CHT temps, although the back left was
the only one that ran hot and that was only during climb.  It wasn't much of a
problem until I installed the Emags as the timing advance really drove up the
CHTs and Oil temps (and significantly dropped the EGTs as more fuel was being
burned in the cylinders rather than the exhaust).  It took a lot of fiddling,
but I was eventually successful in that it never exceeds 380°F in climb, and
always runs under 300° in cruise.  In economy cruise, all the CHTs drop down
around 200 or less.

-Jeff Scott
Arkansas Ozarks.