"If you are getting your PPL, I'd strongly advise getting time in a J3
cub
or aeronca champ or citabria."

"The KR is shortly coupled flight characteristics  in conjunction with
the
fact the rudder authority is limited."

I may be misunderstanding things here and probably am since the
statements above are about as far from accurate as can be.  The KR is
short coupled it's true, especially the original design, but I've never
ever ran out of rudder in even the strongest of crosswinds.

As for the others, I've never flown a J3 I'm ashamed to say and my
Citabria time was brief and long ago but despite the years I think I can
safely say the feel and handling of a Citabria is really nothing like a
KR.  Re the Champ . . . now that really is dangerously off the mark.  I
made the mistake of doing my biennial time before last in a Champ
thinking it might be fun.  Instead, as Riley used to say, "What a
revoltin' experience that turned out to be!"  It was awful.  The controls
are so unresponsive (compared to the 2 KR's I've owned) that trying to
perform simple maneuvers with any grace was a painful experience.  All
three of those designs are getting close to a hundred years old and feel
nothing like a plane with the responsiveness of a KR.  Old planes have
their charm for some people but using one in order to develop a feel for
a KR is, saying it as nicely as I can, inappropriate.

Any of the Grummans would be far better choices, the best of those would
be the TR-2 but any of the 2 place models (they had different names and
varied slightly) would be closest.  The original Yankee would be best of
all since it was more touchy than the others that followed.  I think any
of the two-place RV's would also be good - Jeff can comment on that since
I'm just presuming . . . just going on what I've heard over the years.
RV owners love to extol the virtue of their control quickness.

I can't think how flying any of those old war horses named above would
help anyone develop an expectation or feel for a KR.  Using a car
analogy, it would be like using a 1948 Buick Roadmaster to help get a
feel for a Formula 1 car.   Sorry if I've misunderstood something.

Mike
KSEE

A Response From Trump About New Book's Claim
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f4eae20c7e652e20413ast03vuc1
What Looks Like a Landslide May End Up Being a 'Mirage'
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f4eae20e88ff2e20413ast03vuc2
Suit: McDonald's 'Intentionally' Hurt Black Franchisees
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f4eae21152452e20413ast03vuc3