I wrote this earlier today, but Larry's post reminded me to send it.....

Mike Stirewalt wrote:

..... I've never flown a J3 I'm ashamed to say and my
Citabria time was brief and long ago but despite the years I think I can
safely say the feel and handling of a Citabria is really nothing like a
KR.  Re the Champ . . . now that really is dangerously off the mark

The morning I was planing to fly my KR2S for the first time, my EAA "Flight Advisor" showed up with a J3 Cub. I was very skeptical, having gotten my tailwheel endorsement in a Champ and found it to be completely unresponsive to anything I asked it to do. I swear there was something repelling the "ball" from the center....it was always stuck to either the left or right side. The Cub was a lot more reasonable, and of course super forgiving in the landing department, with it's generous landing gear capability. But as Mike said, it was NOTHING like landing a KR! All thet J3 did was give me a feeling that I'd have no problem with the landing, and an hour later I dropped the KR2S in from what seemed like 8 feet, and put 5.5g's on the g-meter! Turned out my airspeed indicator was way off, and the picture over the nose is far different from anything I'd ever landed before. Never flew a Grumman, but I hear repeatedly that it's very similar.

It's worth mentioning that my Flight Advisor was a UPS 747 pilot, and instructed in a series of amphibs on a nearby lake, so I'm not sure he was the best choice to advise on KRs. Best thing with KRs is some stick time in a KR, and somebody showing you how the landings are done. And on your first flight take it to 3000' AGL, do some near stalls while noting the indicated airspeed, and come over the end of the runway about 10 mph faster, 10 at the most

Mark Langford
m...@n56ml.com
http://www.n56ml.com
Huntsville, AL