Great point Larry. Braking effectiveness deteriorates as the linings heat up as
well. Riding the brakes over long distances can have the same effect as heavy
braking.

After heavy braking the brake mechanism temperatures continue to rise for a
period of time after the braking event as the heat is transferred from the
linings to the rest of the brake and wheel assembly. This can lead to a delayed
failure of the type you’ve described.

I’ll leave the math to someone else but there is a maximum temperature to avoid
damage to the components and period of time to delay between events that will
allow the brake and wheel assembly to cool sufficiently to avoid failure.
Repeated heavy braking events will increase this time significantly. It will
seem like overkill but if conducting this type of testing/practice it would be
good to know your brake temps after each run to stay below the max temps. A
buddy with a now-ubiquitous IR thermometer could quickly check both brakes
after each run. Ideally this type of activity can be done on a surface of
significant length to avoid heavy use of the brakes.

On the other hand, people have done this successfully so there is probably
empirical data on how fast, how many runs, braking technique etc that they
could share. Every airplane will be a little different but the info would
provide a starting point.

Cheers,
Rick

Rick Junkin