"My long-term pipe dream is to attempt to follow Colin Hales' example. Does
anyone have opinions about the maximum fuel capacity a KR-2S could handle if
built for that mission?"
Dave Klingler
*******************************
This puts me in mind of a KR very close to being finished that I came across
maybe 4 years ago.  He designed it for a spacious single seat with a fancy
electronic panel.  Autopilot of course.  Sidestick.  Looked very comfortable
and except for paint the aircraft appeared to be at the 98% completed look to
it.  He had built the wings extra long to hold enough fuel to span the longest
overwater stretch on the planet - San Diego to Hawaii.  SFO to Hawaii is
actually shorter but that's not relevant since he seemed to be planning for San
Diego to Hawaii with a good reserve.  For flights of shorter length he had
removable wing extensions.  These also held fuel and the day I was there he was
fiddling with the fuel quantity sensors.  I don't remember if he had a header
tank.  I've got pictures buried on a hard disk - I know that because I stumbled
across them not long ago.   Everything about his plane was sophisticated and
well thought out.  It appeared to be about ready for paint.  He even had
retractable gear - not Rand's version but either his own design or one he
adapted from a Mooney or something similar.   This was his second KR - the
first one was taken apart and was stored in the hangar loft.  The engine was
either an O-200 or 0-235.  The purpose of this plane was to make record setting
flights and from the looks of it I figured we would be hearing about it or
actually seeing it in Kitplanes or at a Gathering.  I got the idea in talking
with him that he wasn't involved with KRNET.  His name was Don . . . don't
remember his apellido and didn't get his number.  I figured I'd be seeing him
as his plane was very near completion and I figured I'd see him flying it
around here at some point.  But I never have.  Nor have I heard any references
to this aircraft . . . for instance if he had dinged it while flying off his 40
hours.  Whenever I drive by his hangar on the other side of the airport, the
door is never open . . . and I always look to see if it is.  I'm still
thoroughly curious about the story of Don's really extraordinary KR and if I
ever hear anything more I'll report back.  It was a supreme example of the KR
concept taken to extraordinary measure.
Mike StirewaltKSEE