Hi guys.
I too like Larry built a gull wing door just for the safety aspect and I am
sure glad I did. On my very first flight, it raised up about 1” and did not
go any further. I had a latch system that simply did not work the way I had
it. The lift from the gull wing showed me that at about 1000 feet as I
approached cruise speed of 140mph. As soon as I realized it was up, I held
it down and made a bee line back. Install two different latches and never
had another problem. Gull Wing apparently does not generate enough lift to
rip it off the plane. However, I would almost bet I could take the door off
and go fly with no problem.
Like Larry says: Your results may vary.

Mark Jones (N771MJ)
Oldsmar, FL