On 10/14/2015 04:04 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

On 14/10/2015 21:39, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
  update from the  NaturallySpeaking in a VM project.

  don't remember what I told you before but, yes I can now send keystroke
events generated by speech recognition in the Windows guest into the
Linux input queue. I can also extract information from the Linux side,
and have it modify the grammar on the Windows side. The result of
activating that grammar  is that I can execute code on either side  in
response to speech recognition commands. it's fragile as all hell but
I'm the only one using it so far. :-)
That's awesome!  What was the problem?
I would have to say the most the problems were because I just didn't know enough. Once I found the right people and gained a bit more knowledge about subsystems I never touched, it came together pretty easily.

I'm living with this for a while to get a feel for what I need to do next. It looks like the 2 things that would be most important are communicating window status (i.e. is it in a text area or not) and trying to create something like Select-and-Say without really using it because Nuance isn't talking about how to make it work.

The 1st is important so that I can know when to dump keystrokes from inappropriate recognition. For example, using Thunderbird. You only want generalized dictation in text regions like creating this email. You don't want it happening when you're someplace where keystroke commands are active such as the navigation windows. Let me tell you, I have lost more email to miss recognition errors at the wrong time than any other time.

the 2nd is important to enable correction and speech driven editing.

Latency is a bit longer than I like. USB and network connections break
every time I come out of suspend part at least I don't have to use
Windows all the time.

  One thing is puzzling though. Windows, in idle, consume something like
15 to 20% CPU according to top. I turn on NaturallySpeaking, the
utilization climbs to him roughly 30 to 40%. I turn on the microphone
and utilization jumps up to 80-110%.  In other words, it takes up a
whole core.
USB is really expensive because it's all done through polling.  Do that
in hardware, and your computer is a bit hotter; do that in software
(that's what VMs do) and your computer doubles as a frying pan.

If you have USB3 drivers in Windows, you can try using a USB3
controller.  But it's probably going to waste a lot of processing power
too, because USB audio uses a lot of small packets, making it basically
the worst case.

Okay, then let's try to solve this a different way. What's the cleanest, lowest latency way of delivering audio to a virtual machine that doesn't use USB in the virtual machine?

I will say that my experience here and this note about USB explaining why my laptop gets so hot reinforces were I want to go with this model of accessibility tools. It's nice to be able to make this happen in a VM but, I think the better solution is to keep all of the accessibility tools such as speech recognition or text-to-speech in a tablet like device so you can dedicate all of the horsepower as well as carry all the accessibility interface in a dedicated platform. Then, it should be relatively simple[1] to put a small bit of software on the machine where you do your work and make that box accessible to disabled user.

I've simulated this with 2 laptops and it worked really well, much better than with a virtual machine. The challenge is, finding a suitable secondary device that can run Windows and NaturallySpeaking plus whatever, that isn't too large, too expensive, or too slow.

http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16262/~/system-requirements-for-dragon-naturallyspeaking-13

from past experience, I can tell you that the specs are good for at least 2 releases as long as you are running nothing else on that machine.

--- eric

[1]  you can stop laughing now. :-)