On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 04:30:22PM -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> On 10/14/2015 04:04 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> >On 14/10/2015 21:39, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> >>Latency is a bit longer than I like. USB and network connections break
> >>every time I come out of suspend part at least I don't have to use
> >>Windows all the time.
> >>
> >>  One thing is puzzling though. Windows, in idle, consume something like
> >>15 to 20% CPU according to top. I turn on NaturallySpeaking, the
> >>utilization climbs to him roughly 30 to 40%. I turn on the microphone
> >>and utilization jumps up to 80-110%.  In other words, it takes up a
> >>whole core.
> >USB is really expensive because it's all done through polling.  Do that
> >in hardware, and your computer is a bit hotter; do that in software
> >(that's what VMs do) and your computer doubles as a frying pan.
> >
> >If you have USB3 drivers in Windows, you can try using a USB3
> >controller.  But it's probably going to waste a lot of processing power
> >too, because USB audio uses a lot of small packets, making it basically
> >the worst case.
>
>  Okay, then let's try to solve this a different way. What's the cleanest,
> lowest latency way of delivering audio to a virtual machine that doesn't use
> USB in the virtual machine?

QEMU can emulate PCI soundcards, including the Intel HD Audio codec
cards (-device intel-hda or -soundhw hda might do the trick).

Low latency and power consumption are usually at odds with each other.
That's because real-time audio requires small buffers many times per
second, so lots of interrupts and power consumption.

Anyway, PCI should be an improvement from USB audio.

Stefan