On Tuesday 28 April 2009, Marc Bevand wrote:
> >  As a rule of thumb, anything higher than 6000 will have VT,
> > anything below 6000 will not. Interesting exceptions are
> >
> > Doesn't have VT: E7300, Q8200, Q8400, E8190
> > Does have VT: T5600, U2xxx, SU3xxx, Celeron 900 (?)
> > May have VT[1]: T5500, Q8300, E7400, E7500, E5300, E5400
> >
> > Interestingly, when you look at the price list, you will see that
> > *all* processors that are not being obviously phased out (i.e. have
> > the same or higher price as a superior model) and carry a
> > Pentium or Core 2 name come with VT enabled.
>
> This is very wrong:
> - none of the Pentium, Celeron, Atom processors, even the latest ones,
>   come with VT

All Pentium and Celeron processors have numbers below 6000, so
they fit in the rule of thumb I gave above. The Celeron 900
is listed as having VT on the processorfinder, but that also
incorrectly lists it as having two cores, so who knows?

> - none of the Core 2 Duo E7xxx and Core 2 Quad Q8xxx support VT
> Be very careful into what you buy, check processorfinder.intel.com.
>
> Interestingly I found out that Intel will enable VT on a very small
> number of Core 2 and Pentium processors on June 12:
> http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=25886

These are the ones I listed above as 'may have VT':
Q8300, E7400, E7500, E5300, E5400. The link I gave was to another
article mentioning these exact numbers. The E7300, Q8200 and Q8400
I listed as 'Doesn't have VT' are the remaining ones E7xxx and Q8xxx
processors, which appear to be phased out (not sure about Q8400,
which was announced at the same time as this news).

        Arnd <><