On 24 Aug, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 00:01:22 -0700 (PDT)
> Don Lewis <truck...@apache.org> wrote:

>> Someone should fix the broken spellcheck problem.  It generates a lot of
>> complaints from our users.
>>

> The "broken spellcheck problem" seems largely to be caused by over hasty
> close-down of the computer before cached files (both hardware and software
> caches) are properly written to disk.  User education is the answer - educate
> them to be patient in closedown and wait for disk activity to finish before
> power-off.

Maybe using fsync() to flush things out faster when shutting down the
app and keeping a backup copy of the config would help avoid the
problem.   We shouldn't just silently fail when something is corrupt.

I've even experienced this myself on my FreeBSD desktop which stays on
24x7 and has an UPS.  It took me quite a while to notice spellcheck
wasn't working.  I just thought my spelling was unusually good ;-)