- Hold news outlets accountable to the public interest.
- Encourage community members to create their own media.
- Be a critical consumer of mass media.

Join us for an interactive and informative summit!

The 5th Annual LA Media Reform Summit will be held on March 3, 2012 at
Occidental College.
Register here: http://lamediareform.wordpress.com/mediasummit2012/

Making Your Own Media: “Media for the 99%” Summit
http://lamediareform.wordpress.com/

The media is no longer that “black and white and read all over” object
the neighbor kid threw on your parents’ lawn every morning, right?

No, now it’s something people all around you are creating for
themselves — on computer networks, with flipcams and smart phones, on
the radio — to advance their causes, to help guide their communities
to a brighter tomorrow, to better our world.

You’re already doing some of that yourself, too, right?

So join us this Saturday at the “4th Annual Media Reform Summit: Media
for the 99%” to learn how to do even more.

We’ll have headliners Robert Scheer, the renowned LA Timesman and
Truthdig editor, and Craig Aaron, Free Press CEO and President.

We’ve got a dynamite “The Future of News Is Now” media panel with
KCET’s Val Zavala, KPCC’s Sharon McNary, KPFK’s Maria Armoudian, and
XM Public Radio’s Jesse Thorn.

And then, to get you waist deep in the big media yourself, we’re
presenting ten workshops that will give you hands-on tutoring on how
to effect change in your community by creating your own media.

    Want to know how to create your own online magazine, or become a
progressive culture critic, or livestream events as they happen? We
can help.

    Want to know how to post multimedia stories onto the Web with your
mobile phone, or how to make a powerful video, or how to represent
your cause effectively with the mainstream media? We’ve got you
covered.

Check out the list of 10 workshops below, organized in two sets of
five, and sign up for the event.

WHEN: Saturday, March 3 from 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
WHERE: Occidental College, 200 Johnson Hall
RSVP: Here.
AGENDA: Here.

See you Saturday!

    Citizen Journalism on the Net: LA Progressive founders will show
step-by-step how they created an online magazine, including author
recruitment, website development, and advertising and sponsorship
development. The LA Progressive can serve as a roadmap for citizen
journalists elsewhere to create their own similar efforts. With Sharon
Kyle and Dick Price

    Food Trucks: From Roach Coach to Pop-Culture Boom! This panel
discusses how citizen journalists have captured some of the tensest,
politically charged, and controversial moments of the food truck
movement in L.A., and across the country. With Erin Glenn and Michele
Gran

    How to be an Advocate in the Big Media World: This panel will talk
about how to stand up for the media you want to see by being a
kick-ass advocate for community-based media. Everything from keeping
the big guys accountable to maintaining real alternatives in radio,
television and on the web. With Tracy Rosenberg and Inez González

    Creative Commons and Other Ways Internet Law Empowers Media
Reformers. This workshop will be a overview of Internet-related legal
concepts that can actually help and empower media reformers. The goal
is to give the audience an understanding of what they CAN do when
re-purposing content, responding to censorship threats from third
parties, and controlling the way they disseminate their messages
online. Shaun Spalding and Art Neill

    Video the Vote 2012: Keeping Watch on Democracy: In preparation
for the 2012 elections, this workshop will look at Video the Votes
reports from previous elections to give an overview of voter
suppression in action, and discuss covering this years elections with
more developed technology, including portable streaming video. With
John Wellington Enis

    Occupy The Media: The Process, Practice, Publication, Posting and
Broadcasting of a People’s Critique of Popular Culture: How can a
people’s “pop culture-ologist” go about getting his/her vision out to
the public? The workshop includes practical steps to put theory into
practice in various media formats: online, social media, print, radio,
TV, etc. The goal: How to provide people’s coverage of the arts for
the 99%. With Ed Rampell

    How Insight Out News Covered Occupy LA: Margot Paez will discuss
her work with Insight Out News, interspersing her presentation with
demonstrations of videos she created in her coverage of Occupy LA,
discussions of the tools and production processes she employed, and
plenty of time for audience members to ask questions and share their
own videography experiences. With Margot Paez

    Mobile Voices: We’ll show participants how to post multimedia
stories directly to the web from a cell phone, and we’ll talk about
how this can be used as part of popular communication and as an
organizing tool. We will read our reality to write our own stories!
With Ricardo Rodriguez, Manuel Mancia, Maria de Lourdes González,
Diana Mendez, Marcos Rodriguez, Crispin Jimenez, Ranferi Ahiezer
Velazquez, and Pedro Joel Espinosa

    Make It Pop: Short-form Video Storytelling: We’ll present a series
of videos produced for different events, films, or causes, discuss
effective techniques to maximize impact, and help workshop attendees
conceive and figure out how to execute their own messaging videos.
With John Wellington Enis

    Corporate Personhood & Media Consolidation: A look at how the
pernicious doctrine or corporate personhood has lead to the diminution
of the public voice on our airwaves, print and online media. An
examination of how companies like Clear Channel Communications, Koch
Industries, GE, Heart Industries (historically) and other media
conglomerates have effectively homogenized the airwaves using both
judicial precedents and legislative means to drown out the voice of
the people. With David Cobb