Hi, Jean -

I read in the paper, when Chip and PIN was very new, about a tiny village
shop in a tiny Highland village (goodness knows why they had the device, but
maybe it was a trial run).  They put the key pad on a shelf on the wall
behind the counter, and the customers had to call out their PIN to the shop
lady, who was a bit hard of hearing, while she keyed the number in.  <VBG>

I know you can't believe everything you read, and this may well be an urban
myth, but it amused me.

BFN,
Margery.