On 1/23/12 11:16 AM, David C COLLYER wrote:

I'm not sure how many realize that whatever you put under
oil cannot go "off".

When I lived in New York, decent colby wasn't to be had for
love or money, not even in the specialty cheese shop.  Here
almost any colby is edible, but honestly-sharp cheddar for
seasoning can be found only rarely.

So when we came out for a visit once a year, I would take
home a whole horn of County Line. (This was before Beatrice
bought out County line and cheapened the product.)

Now and again I would use a piece of dental floss and two
pencils to cut a wheel off the horn (Score a line around the
cheese with a paring knife, put the floss in the score, pull on the ends.) Then I would butter the newly-cut surface to keep the horn from spoiling.

--
Joy Beeson
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/