> Can any of our Canadian spiders tell me if the First Nations use symbols
for
> earth, air, fire and water which would be used on totem poles and if so
what
> they are, as I've looked on the net but can't find anything (maybe I'm
> looking in the wrong places) and our local UK library is not into things
> Canadian.

A quick reference to the book "Looking at Indian Art of the Northwest Coast"
by Hilary Stewart shows as design motifs many animals, the sun, the moon and
the human. No mention of the four elements. Nor have I ever heard stories
relating these. Our daughter-in-law is a (adopted) descendent of the famous
Mungo Martin, Charlie Jameson and Ellen Neel - totem carvers.

http://www.ravenpublishing.com/
Some good info here, check out the links at the bottom of the page.
(The Hunt family named on this page are related to the above named carvers).

http://www.davidmorgan.com/nwart.html
Although this is a 'selling' webpage, there are some good descriptions of
the various animals.

There are many more pages - found by typing in "Coast Indians art" in
google.

Hope this helps you
Greetings from Beautiful British Columbia
Esther Perry